Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I Heart Huckabee?

I would like to say I thought this all the time, but it would conflict with my other belief that America does not elect a president with a vowel at the end of his name. With those disclaimers, what is up with Mike Huckabee? The new man from Hope, Arkansas, albeit from the other side of the aisle, is positioning himself to win Iowa and possibly South Carolina.

With less than a month to go before the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary, here are my predictions for what the Republican field might look like going into Tsunami Tuesday.

Here are the Republican candidates, in case you have been living in a vacuum or under a rock:
  • Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York
  • Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas
  • Duncan Hunter, Congressman from California
  • John McCain, Senator from Arizona
  • Ron Paul, Representative from Texas
  • Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts
  • Tom Tancredo, Congressman from Colorado
  • Fred Thompson, Actor, former Senator from Tennessee
The Washington Post has started a series on the candidates, which has been very good. It focuses on the "front-runners" and for the Republicans, that means, Giuliani, Huckabee, McCain, Romney, and Thompson. While Congressmen Paul, Tancredo, and Hunter are certainly interesting in their own right, they will not be the nominee of their party. So, for our purposes here, they are not a factor.

Iowa: The Republicans are starving for someone that thinks like they do. Despite Mitt Romney's millions of dollars spent in the Hawkeye State, I don't think it's going to happen for him. Ditto for Rudy. Iowans will go for the guy who sounds like them.

Projected Finish:
  1. Huckabee
  2. Romney
  3. Giuliani
  4. Thompson
  5. McCain
New Hampshire: Romney's last stand. If he can't win here, next to his putative home of Massachusetts, stick a fork in him, he's done. McCain needs the big win, too, but again, as I have said all along, I never thought he would make it this far.

Projected Finish:
  1. Romney
  2. Giuliani
  3. Huckabee
  4. Thompson
  5. McCain
South Carolina: The third prize in the front-loaded delegate sweepstakes. McCain has spent a lot of time here and, unfortunately it is not paying off for him. He will probably make it to this primary and they quietly walk away.

Projected Finish:
  1. Huckabee
  2. Giuliani
  3. Romney
  4. McCain
  5. Thompson
Once these three contests are over, I think that both McCain and Thompson will withdraw. Giuliani still leads in most national polls on the race for the nomination, but Huckabee is closing the ground fast. The big question will be is where do the supporters of McCain and Thompson go when those tents come down? That may be the best news for Mitt Romney. In a three-person race, he will come off as the most "presidential" (again, the vowel thing) and should get a good bump going into "Super-Duper Tuesday."

I still maintain that at least one party or the other may go into their convention without one individual holding enough delegates to get the nomination on the first ballot. God, I would love that. I would take time off to sit in front of C-Span to watch.

Coming next, why can't John Edwards pass Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama? Come back soon. I'll be here.

6 comments:

That is what I said said...

I so veryveryvery much want your prediction regarding indecision heading into one of the conventions to come true. But that isn't really why I'm posting a comment. I am here to correct errors regarding the midwest (let's call it a hobby since about 2002, shall we?): Iowa is the hawkeye state and you will find buckeyes in Ohio. Although why you would want to go to either I cannot guess.

Brave Astronaut said...

[red faced] Corrected. And by the way, thanks for the magnet. I'm woefully behind on thank you notes.

Anonymous said...

Huckabee? Kennedee?

dd

That is what I said said...

What are you talking about? You already did.

Brave Astronaut said...

I was hoping to be all proper-like, with a real note and everything. But thanks a third time.

Mary Witzl said...

I'm way behind on current American politics. Clearly, I need to get caught up, and fast. I was thrilled to find that 'Buckeye' was Ohio and 'Hawkeye' was Iowa, though. At first I assumed I'd just gotten it wrong, so when I read the above comment, I let out a long sigh of relief. At least I still know a couple of the state nicknames.